Friday, August 17, 2012

Settling in

We are just settling in and trying to figure out what goes where and how we are ever going to fill all this space.  This might be the largest place I've ever lived in not counting my parents house or the dorms!  I thought I'd show you a few pictures of "home" so you can get a better idea of where we are.

These are pictures of the outside of our place. This is the front door and is super heavy and impossible to get into when you are carrying a bunch of groceries.



We have three balconies and this is a picture of the one that our bedroom and guest bedroom shares. We are the one between the two awnings. We found lawn chairs and now chill on our porch in the evening and watch the construction of a huge skyscraper in our front yard.


Where do I live you might ask? I have no clue because Beirut doesn't have an address system. You quite literally tell people where you live by telling what you live by. I know that the school calls my building Nazarian. Whether that is their nickname or the real name, I have no clue.  This is off another balcony overlooking the back courtyard of the building.


Now for the inside. We have two huge bedrooms and two bathrooms, a living room, entry, kitchen, and formal dining room. This is the guest room where you will be staying when you come.


The balcony off of the guest room and our master bedroom.


The view of an incredibly old building in Beirut out of our guest room window.


Bathroom #1 with a bidet! The ceilings are incredibly low in both of the bathrooms because there are storage units above each of them. When I shampoo my hair I scrape my hands on the ceiling.


The living room needs some decorators TLC.  We are going to a housewares store tomorrow so hopefully we'll see some things to spruce it up with.


Our tiny little kitchen with gas stove. The sink is so huge that I could get away with not washing my dishes for weeks!


The dining room is a total mess still but you get a little bit of an idea of how large it is. There is a table that seats eight and then another balcony off of it.


More pictures will come once we decorate!




6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're keeping a blog Amanda! I don't know much about Lebanon but what ive seen so far is completely different than what I imagined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best to blow your mind with all the cool stuff here. Thank you for reading it!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you started a blog! I can't wait to read about all of your adventures- looks like an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Any tips? It's hard to find time and mental energy to do it. I have a whole new respect for you :-) I can't tell you how excited I am to learn how to make all this great food we've been eating!

      Delete
  3. Super duper huge props on blog! Keeeeeeep em coming! re: House decor: do they have craigslist or an equivalent? And... do you have a translator buddy yet? Nazarian... now that's a good name for the novel you guys write about this experience, esp given the biblical ring to it. Do they have pretzels and beer in Beirut??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have Craigslist but it's not quite as well used as the Seattle one. They might have something else like it out there but it might be in arabic! We don't really need a translator. They teach English up until 9th grade here and then you usually need a bachelors degree to get a job. Pretty much any store worker is bilingual- on the streets it's another story. I swear the people at our bank know more English than I do! Ryan will be writing that novel so you might want to suggest the title to him. I haven't seen any pretzels but who needs them when there is a hundred other types of bread happiness here? As for beer, Ryan found a brand he likes, 961, which is named after our country code. It was only ok to me. Two of the types they make are pretty decent.

      Delete